Monday, September 04, 2006

I need a place to live in Silver City, New Mexico

Wow, I have been blown away by life. How quickly it can change if I open the door. And it has been windy. Hold on for your life. So I’ve been here in Silver City for 2 weeks now. My Sculpture classes are filled, I put up my solo exhibit in a 2000 square foot gallery, practically alone... Had some great help. They thought the show looked soooo good "one of the best they’ve ever seen" so they gave me the gallery job for about $6 an hour... the grad student running the gallery quit, she found a better job. I haven't found a place to live yet, been looking... asking everyone I meet if they know of a place. Only a few ads in the paper everyday. Around here it's word of mouth... I crashed on a professor’s spare room last two weeks, this week I’m at an adjuncts place... Been hitting meetings. Know one guy here from past involvement in the assemblies. He's my "Uncle Richard" an old vet, biker, Chicano dude that goes around and says "God Bless you." to everyone... He is a good friend!

My adventures at looking at housing... One place was a cool landlord taxidermist, also a skunk buster. Place smelled like skunk and the rooster kept me up all night. I would have rented it if I had 3 classes… It was in an old elementary school house! It was a big apartment, wood floors, and thick walls in Pinos Altos. One place was very small and very expensive-landlord was a herpetologist: studies snakes... so he had over 50 poisonous snakes in his garage... Rattle snakes from all over the world, pit vipers, cobras, Gila monsters… I’m just not OK with that! The other place is in town... one of the advanced sculpture students is a retired Cleveland police officer that bought the big old Elks Lodge in down town Silver... he's got the basement his sculpture studio, 2nd floor is going to be a restaurant/gallery, 3rd floor is a potential bed and breakfast cuz of the old lodge rooms. 3rd floor I can live... for free.... alone in a 30,000 square foot building. Creepy... I can clean up the rooms and remodel. He has to put in a functional toilet first. It's filthy. Oh, and HAUNTED....
So which would you pick?
1. Skunk house
2. Snake house
3. Haunted house

Please God, send me about 10 miles out of town up into the Gila Wilderness in a little house in the woods for under $300 a month.... Manifest Magdalena again… Amen

It has been very interesting.

Today, I’m feeling very exhausted. I moved a 14 foot U-Haul full of sculpture stuff down here from Flagstaff yesterday. I must have cried for over 6 hours. I loved Flag and didn't want to leave, but was finding no jobs. I put everything I own in a 10x20 storage unit. I thank God for Larry who helped me on the trip! I couldn’t have done it without him.

Sometimes I question my sanity. I am today.

My solo exhibit looks really awesome. I’m proud of myself! I will be documenting soon. I have over 100 pinhole photographs and 30 sculptures along with an installation using black light.

The people in this town are all very nice and very interesting! Most people are. I love to meet people and find out their stories. Everyone has one!